Friday, April 30, 2010

“So I could be sane, and let them be crazy –because I was not one of them!”—Leighann Inskeep-SimpsonBy: Courtney Ransdell

At first glance, Leighann Inskeep-Simpson looks like an average middle-age woman that you would pass along the street with a gentle smile and a wave. However, there is more behind what meets the eye when it comes to Inskeep-Simpson, 42.

Most of her students at Urbana High School know her as their art teacher. But Inskeep-Simpson has a hidden life. What she would really like to be spending time doing is holing up in some studio to create masterpieces. But life isn’t like that.

“I have been struggling recently with the fact that my family needs so much of my time, and that I don't have much time to make art. Both our oldest and youngest children have special needs and rely on me for a lot of ‘normal things’ from tying shoes, to helping my daughter with her shower.”

As she puts down her coffee cup and crosses her legs, she sighs, “My life would have been different.... I don't know if it would have been better or worse, but certainly different. My hopes and dreams for myself have been put on the back burner.”

She ends by saying, “Of course I love them dearly, but there are many days that I wish I had remained single and/or childless.” However, even though it seems like the struggle with a full time job, special need children, and her hopes and dreams tugging at one end –Inskeep-Simpson does not ever try and ‘take a day to herself’, “only if I am really sick, which does not happen very often“ she says.

Being born in Columbus by her 17-year-old mother, Inskeep-Simpson was put up for a closed adoption, which in the long run has affected her emotionally. “In a lot of ways I never felt like I fit in with the rest of my family. Not only because of looks, but also things we were interested in.”

Growing up on Lincoln Place in Urbana, OH with her adoptive parents and two sisters, Kay and Alana (who were not blood related), Inskeep-Simpson recalled her favorite thing about the house.
“One of the good things about living in the house on Lincoln was that the attic had been converted to a bedroom for Kay and me. There was no heat in the winter except what floated up the stairs, and it was real hot in the summer... but there was space - lots of space, and privacy. If I said I was going to draw everyone would leave me alone. Perhaps another reason I picked to major in art!” Although as she got older, she said she realized a mood change in her mom.
“When we moved to Lincoln Mom's moods became more apparent.... or maybe I was just more aware since I was older. Looking back I would say that she was probably deeply depressed most of the years I was growing up.” She even recalled a time she went on strike.
“She wouldn't cook or do laundry... basically anything around the house for about three weeks. I remember begging someone to take me to DQ so I could get some food (Don't recall why I had to go to DQ in particular.)”

Even though her childhood life was not a glorious walk in the park, she seemed to make the best of it. “It was also a good thing I was adopted.... I felt like I didn't really belong with these people, so I could be sane and let them be crazy because I was not one of them!” Although she legally is not allowed to get information about her mother in Ohio, Inskeep-Simpson admits “I would like to meet my birth parents someday - and I have searched for them, but gotten nowhere.”

Although Inskeep-Simpson’s life has had its up’s and down’s –while speaking to her, and having had her as an Art teacher before, it seems like her job is a prized possession. When asked what her best thing about her job was, she smiled and said “The best thing is building relationships with the students. Some students I see every day for four years.”

As I begin to move onto my next question, she finishes and says, “At UHS the students are sort of like my children. I do care about them and enjoy watching them develop their artistic skills. Some students just need an adult to talk to.... free shoulder to cry on. I also enjoy the other teachers in the basement, "basement buddies" Sapp, Myers and Steinmetz. We help each other out, support each other and occasionally socialize together.”

Being married to her own once High School art teacher, Mike Simpson,

No comments:

Post a Comment